I can't believe it's been that long. So much has happened over the last several years. The bright-eyed-bushy-tailed me in early June of 2011 had no idea what was about to come.
Through this program, I've accomplished more things than I've ever done in my 31 years of life. I've witnessed birth and the joy and pride of newly minted parents. I've witnessed death and its eery silence on the receiving end of my stethoscope; I've helped another fellow RN gently prepare and place a loved one's body into a bag. I've coaxed babies to swallow their prescribed medications. I've changed diapers, both pediatric and adult sized. I've introduced my love for yoga, tennis, and quinoa to a group of amazing women recovering from substance use. I've high-fived my patients when they tell me they have been able to keep their blood sugar within target range; successfully lose X lbs within the span of Y months; or have kicked cigarette smoking to the curbside. I've embraced and held hands with my patients. I've laughed with my patients. I've advocated for home health services for my patients. I've offered counseling and advice; and I've received some in return. I've been told by another caring patient that I have a "bad posture" - I still do to this day, sadly. I've been praised; and I've been lambasted. I've experienced profound sadness; and joy. I've experienced anger from patients lashing out. But mostly, I've experienced a tremendous amount of love and kindness from them. People in this community, clinicians and patients alike, truly live extraordinary lives. And if there is anything I've learned from them, that is - everyone is trying and doing their best. Everyday.
I've seen so much and heard so many intricate patient stories. And I've learned so much from my peers, my colleagues, my superiors, and my patients who have been kind enough to share a part of their life with me. Outside of academia, I have been so lucky to be surrounded by a network of supportive family and friends who held me up when I could no longer stand or have the energy to lift my spirits. I've been incredibly privileged. And so very blessed. Thank you all.
I've seen so much and heard so many intricate patient stories. And I've learned so much from my peers, my colleagues, my superiors, and my patients who have been kind enough to share a part of their life with me. Outside of academia, I have been so lucky to be surrounded by a network of supportive family and friends who held me up when I could no longer stand or have the energy to lift my spirits. I've been incredibly privileged. And so very blessed. Thank you all.
No comments:
Post a Comment